Saturday, May 12, 2007

Hey Baby!

I found that making baby clothes is fun and quick! You get to practice making sweaters and other items without a lot of time invested. I can make baby clothes as fast as Michelle can knit a regular sweater. I know, I know...Michelle says that she's not a fast knitter - she's just diligent. But when a person can make a 5 day sweater or a 3 day tank - that's still crazy fast!! Plus with baby stuff you get to work with super soft yarn, fuzzy - fluffy yarn, pastel colors, cute little buttons, and ribbon - now who wouldn't like that?!

So I've made two baby outfits in my history as a knitter. The first was in North Carolina where I got my first real knitting bug. My boss was having a baby (ok, his wife had the baby - but he still had something to do with at. Proof being seen in the photos of the baby!). I knit the outfit in a round. It was the first project that I had done in the round and I love it. No purling necessary!! I'm a much faster knitter than I am purler. It turned out really cute. Now the only problem is that the baby lives in North Carolina = that sweater was never used. Or it would give a new name to the term " Sweat her." But it got me some brownie points and gave me something to do. Side note - everytime I look at this picture I think that the outfit is laying across the donated mustard colored couch that we were given by Ting (an engineer that Todd worked with at Carolina Turkeys). Take a gander at the finished product:

The whole ensemble. Now that baby is styling!


Look at the cute baby booties (You must be talking baby talk to get the full effect).


Notice the fuzzy pastel lines which will take your eye away from any baby fat that may be hanging around the midsection of any tot!

The bonnet - the perfect topper to the perfect ensemble. Also something that most kids rip off their head the moment that their mom's aren't looking!

Again, baby was in North Carolina - so it probably never got used. What a shame. So I made another set exactly like the first for Todd's cousin James and Karen for their baby Nora - who live in Canada where sweaters were first developed (if they weren't, they should be because it gets darn cold there). Note: these first pictures were taken before I discovered George's modeling ability. Don't worry you will see him in the very near future - like in the next pictures down the page.

The next baby sweater outfit I made was for Todd's cousin Frankie and Sally's baby Emily who live in California. Again another warm state to be receiving a sweater outfit! But truth be told, it does get cool at night in California (Side Note: Todd told me that before we went to visit Todd's aunt in California one summer. He told me to bring a sweater or a bunny hug - that's a hooded sweat shirt for you non-Canadians. I love that term it's so cute and it's so much nicer than "hooded sweat shirt" which sounds like "I'm down with my homies on the North side waiting for a rumble" or something like that. So anyway I didn't bring anything to keep me warm in California so I was "forced" to buy a bunny-hug from Walt Disney Land - it was a hardship but I did it!) . Anyway, this was the first project that I made using a chart to make the bunnies. They are so cute and made of this really fuzzy, cottony yarn that is almost unwoven. Also the buttons are in the shape of bunnies which is also so cute you want to hug them (you can't see them because the pictures are too small so I wanted you to at least hear about them). I was told that Emily loved this outfit and wore it daily. I love to hear that something I made was used. That's so cool. So with no further a-do, here is the finished product.


See I told you that George would be back. Here he is with the sweater and matching hat. Notice the bunnies on both panels as well as one on the hat!


Sweater stretched it out all to see. Look at the cute striping on the sleeves - again changing colors is a pain - but turns out really cute!


George is snuggling up to the hat. After all, who wouldn't?

4 comments:

Kelli said...

All this baby stuff, are you tryign to tell us something??
Too bad you didn't have the knitting down when Grace was a baby...she would have been darn cute in one of those outfits.

Angela Kay Knitter said...

Yes she would have. Not yet I'm not trying to say anything. However, if I were trying to say something, I would say that you should take up knitting. :-)

Nancy said...

Thanks for the Canadianism lesson about Bunny Hugs...I'm gonna hafta adopt that one for personal use, eh. AND I love your baby sets...especially the bunnies! I'm glad to hear someone enjoyed your gift! Its really a drag when you never hear another word about something you've knitted and given away...or never even get to see a picture of the kid wearing the lovingly knitted garment.

Kelli - I tried to knit Grace a sweater that first summer...but alas my skills were not so good back then! I still have the pieces of the sweater in a basket and vowed to re-do it someday...of course now she is way to big of it.

Angela Kay Knitter what are you working on these days???

Nancy said...

...I meant, to big for it. Funny I type...