Sunday, April 8, 2007

First Sweater


We moved to North Carolina for a short period of time (so the Northerners had arrived in the South- one Minnesotan and one Canuck), where I picked up my knitting out of desperation to keep my sanity. Note that I had not knit anything since my the fun fur scarf. My mother-in-law, Gail, came to the rescue again (she must have a sixth sense of what will keep me occupied) with my first sweater pattern book and yarn that she got for me for Christmas. We were alone that first Christmas (which was quite difficult) and I knit for the entire time. I started with my "Teach Yourself to Knit" book knitting a pair of slippers (I didn't want to mess the sweater up too badly). They must have turned out funny because I didn't even bother to take a picture of them. They were far too large for either myself of my husband, so I gave them to my brother Mark for Christmas. Mark - if you are reading this, you are welcome and I am just glad that you have big feet. You know what they say about big feet....big shoes (what were you thinking?). I hear that the slippers did not last more than one season. Oh well, you have to start somewhere. Remember, I didn't even know how to purl when I made those! When Gail taught me to knit, she didn't teach me to purl. I was a garter stitch gal and that was it. So everything else from the cast on and knit stitch is self taught. So if I get it wrong, there is only myself to blame!

So the sweater knit up easy with Sirdar (pattern 8411), Denim Ultra 2.25 stitches per inch yarn which knits up really fast. I knit the entire sweater in a matter of days and it turned out really nice - especially since I had just learned to purl, however, it doesn't quite fit. I made it just a smidge too small. I can't quite make myself give away my first ever sweater and am quite sure if I lose a few pounds that I will wear it some day. So just to make myself happy with something I could wear, I made a scarf and stocking hat with the left over yarn. My husband thought that I was crazy being that we were in North Carolina with a toque (or "Tobaggon" as they call it in North Carolina - they don't even know the correct winter terms. It's not like I want to put a sled on my head!!) and scarf. But a girl has to do, what a girl has to do!