Sunday, April 8, 2007

In the Beginning


This is my first ever Blog. So therefore I will start in the beginning before I knew how to knit (it was the best of times, it was the worst of times). I had gone to Flin Flon, Manitoba (I mentioned that my hubby is Canadian) for Christmas in 2004. By the way, they take winter very seriously there. It was -40 degrees Celsius - which is the only metric temperature that I truly understand as it is the same as -40 degrees Fahrenheit (that is 40 degrees below zero) - every day for a week. So we had planted ourselves inside except for the few walks we took outside to get some exercise or a trip to the evil Walmart which had newly come to Flin Flon. We were all going quite stir crazy so my mother-in-law had decided that I needed something to do other than look out the window and watch TV. So she decided to teach me how to knit. Now if you are a new knitter, do not learn on fun fur. As the name suggests - it's supposed to be "fun." Knitting is not fun if you can't see what you are knitting and you don't know what you are doing. Also as a new knitter I had a death grip on the needles and was knitting tight enough so that I had to force the needles through the "fun fur" that I was sure going to escape (why else would I be knitting so tightly). I spent the whole time counting stitches and swearing under my breath. But in the end, I had a fun fur scarf which I just adore. Note that it took me the entire trip plus one week to finish the project which should have taken a normal knitter a couple of hours. My mother-in-law made a pair of mittens to match in a matter of days (she finished before I did) - which I also included in the picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela. I wanted to tell you what a good job you are doing with your knitting. I enjoy your comments with each project. You have a great sense of humour and a great model in George. You certainly are a fast learner. Knitting is a real good pastime and in the end you have something to show. I will be waiting to see what your next project is. Joan

Anonymous said...

whatwhatwhatwhat

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela. I wanted to tell you what a good job you are doing with your knitting. I enjoy your comments with each project. You have a great sense of humour and a great model in George. You certainly are a fast learner. Knitting is a real good pastime and in the end you have something to show. I will be waiting to see what your next project