Thursday, April 12, 2007

Scary Balaclava

Many of you have asked what my Canadian husband looks like - so as not to disappoint you, here he is:


What you were expecting a different colored balaclava?? Balaclava is a Canadian term for face mask (at least that's what we called them where I grew up). I heard the term while in Canada and got the crazy idea that I had to knit one for Todd when I learned how to knit. Don't ask me why? And, by the way, I was living in North Carolina at the time. There was totally not a need for a balaclava. My mother-in-law came to the rescue with a pattern from Darlene - who took the time out to e-mail to me. It's a really easy pattern (if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll pass it along). Basically you just bind off the stitches on one row (where you want the mouth and eye holes) and cast them on the next. I also knit it in around because as a whole, I'm a much better knitter than I am a sewer.

Then while wearing the balaclava we decided that we looked scary. Notice that George is not in any of the pictures because he was hiding under the bed while we were making our best scary faces. So don't be afraid because here they are:


Scary Balaclava Todd


and Scary Balaclava Angela!!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Good thing I emptied my bladder before I checked out your site.....now, I'm just hoping that I don't have nightmare's after seeing those pics.
Seriously...you are quite talented. Can't wait for you to start Scrapbooking!!!!

mother-in-law said...

It looks like you were planning a "heist!!" Has it ever been cold enough to wear them??

Angela Kay Knitter said...

It hasn't been cold enough to wear the balaclava unless we are taking knitting pictures around the house :-) But I sure could have used it in Ottawa because we got 5 inches of snow the night before we left. Kind of put a damper on our plans for the day.

Angela Kay Knitter said...

Oh- and don't hold your breath about the scrapping thing Kelli because I don't think that it's happening. I love the books when they are done - it's just so hard to do myself. But I have a good friend that I hear has all the supplies that could me make a beautiful knitting scrap book...hint, hint.