Monday, April 9, 2007

Socks - Try, try Again

After finishing a big project this past week, I decided to try socks again. I needed something that I could finish quickly and after all, I had bought the alpaca sock yarn on a whim when I visited the Twin Cities and made my hubby stop at my favorite knitting store - 3 Kittens. So I followed the same pattern as my first pair of socks thinking that the reason why they didn't work is that I was unexperienced. But I found out that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Take a look at the sock that I ended up with:
Yup, still makes a sock that is too Big!!

So I searched the internet and found a sock calculator. Who knew?!! I found one at www.needletrax.com/mysocks.htm
And it worked! Here the picture of the new sock. Note that I had to make it smaller because since I used up enough yarn to make one large sock, I only have enough left to make a pair of bootie socks. Also note, that I tried to unravel the socks from the cuff down because I was going to fix the first sock - but that didn't work either! It only unravels backwards (that would be from the toe end). I would have had to unknit the entire sock! I like that alpaca yarn - but not that much! So much for my fast project I was looking for.
Much better. Note: my husband makes a good sock model. Now one more to go. When I finish. I'll take a picture of both socks at the same time.
Another thing I found out is that my cat George loves any natural yarn, wool, etc. Look at what he thinks about the sock:

I now want to call him - Alpaca George!!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I LOVE that you have a blog!!!

And I Love the Footie. Looks like George does too. I've tried socks on dbl points, socks on 2 circs and socks on the magic loop. I think of all three methods I like 2 circulars best.

Have you ever noticed that Knitters almost always have cats?

I put a link to your blog on my blog. That's one way to get people to start visiting your page. I belong to the yahoo group, tcknit. Check out Yahoo for other knitters in your area.

Anonymous said...

I think that this blog is exactly what you needed. I love the socks I may need some in the near future. :)

mother-in-law said...

I am the mother-in-law that started it all! :) I must say that I am SO proud of the progress that Angela has made with her knitting. I will never forget the Christmas of -40 degrees when Angela started the blue scarf. It was quite full of holes and I was busy trying to knit back to find what she had done wrong. She now is knitting circles around me and puts my knitting to shame!! :)

I love the idea of this blogspot and am so happy that I made the suggestion. I look forward to being here often and would love to share patterns and ideas. I seem to be stuck on knitting scarves and mittens lately but want to get doing something more creative. I have a neat pattern for "Newfie" mitts which have been really popular here in northern Canada this winter. I've also recently learned to knit beads into projects so no more threading them on the yarn.

I can hardly wait to see the latest project picture on this site! It's gorgeous and I'd love to steal it but have decided that I may just knit one myself in black and white.

Knit on!

Angela Kay Knitter said...

I love the fact that people have actually looked at my blog! George is now famous!!

Kelli said...

What can I say? I'm very impressed with your work.

Kelli said...

Of course the sock model...has really nice feet.

Anonymous said...

Great warm socks - the hubby!